Monday, July 5, 2010

TOMBSTONE OF AL CAPONE - Mount Carmel Cemetery, Hillside, Cook County, Illinois



OK, sorry I was about 24 hours late in resuming posts to the blog, but we are on track now. My first objective upon arriving in Chicago (after checking in and hitting the restroom, of course) was driving out to Mount Carmel Cemetery in Hillside, IL, right outside of Chicago, to photograph the graves of Al Capone, his associates and some of his enemies who are all buried with him in the same cemetery. Al's grave is near the Roosevelt Ave. entrance to the cemetery and was easy to find because there were other visitors to it. Al is buried with his parents, sister and other relatives. This was not his original grave. He was originally buried in another Chicago cemetery, but his body was disinterred and re-interred in this location. As you can see from the tombstone, visitors have left coins and a small bottle of booze. These were all there when I first photographed the grave. When I came back later, all the coins were gone. I hope cemetery maintenance staff removed the coins and not some souvenir hunter, but I cannot be sure. This is a popular site visited by many.

1 comment: