Saturday, June 28, 2014

TOMBSTONE OF FRANCIS H. LISCOMB - Salisbury Cove Cemetery, Salisbury Cove, Mount Desert Island, ME

I confess that before I took these photos I committed one of the cardinal sins when visiting a cemetery - I moved a tombstone.  I felt justified in my sin as this stone was laying behind the base with the right side of the stone submerged into the ground.  I slowly and carefully pulled the stone upright and carefully dragged it in front of the base and leaned it against the base.  As you can see, the right side of the stone has been very weathered while submerged underground, practically making it unreadable.  I was pleased I had "rescued" the stone because had I left it as it was the submersed section would have eventually become unreadable.  Let me tell you - the stone is HEAVY!  I could not believe how heavy it was!  I even strained a chest muscle in moving it but it was worth it.  I think Francis and the rest of the Liscomb Family would be happy with what I had done.



No comments:

Post a Comment